1st CHELTENHAM BOYS' BRIGADE
& GIRLS' ASSOCIATION
The Company was formed in 1943 by Mr. Vic Dymock, who remained its Captain until 1982. In 1980 Vic was awarded the M.B.E. for his services to young people. His successors as Captain have been former members of the Company: David Bell, who served until 1985, Colin O’Brien, who served until his death in 2004, and currently Michael Meredith.
Initially, the company was attached to Salem Baptist Church, of which Gas Green was a branch cause. Following the formation of Gas Green as an independent church in 1964, the company became formally attached to Gas Green.
Since its formation, the Company has been an active member of the Gloucester and Cheltenham Groups, and their successor, the Gloucestershire Battalion.
For most of its life, the 1st Cheltenham BB Company has served the church together with its sister organisation, the 2nd Cheltenham GB. Following the closure of the GB Company in 1995, it was decided that the best way forward was to allow girls to join in the BB Company activities.
A change to the national BB constitution which came into effect on 1st January 2009 formally recognized Girls’ Associations as part of the BB. We aim to provide equal opportunities for Boy and Girl members within our Company.
The Company celebrated the 75th anniversary of its formation in June 2018.